Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday Spotlight: HERB, THE VEGETARIAN DRAGON

Whenever I get an order of books in, I like to sit down and go through them and make sure I have read every single one.  In my current batch of books, my son saw a copy of HERB, THE VEGETARIAN DRAGON.  (I include spoilers so you know just what the story is)

My son asked me to please please please read it to him! 

While Herb's fellow meat-eating dragons go around eating knights and princesses, Herb prefers to cultivate his garden:

He comes up with delicious recipes like "Herb's Famous Lakewater Veggie Slurp":



Unfortunately, while Herb is busy cooking in his garden, the King's men are making plans to rid the kingdom of the dragons.  All the other dragons hide but Herb doesn't get the message and he is captured by the king's men.  The head dragon gives Herb a choice:  the other dragons will break him out of prison if he agrees to become a meat-eater.  Herb refuses to compromise his principles.  Before the king's men can throw Herb into the castle moat filled with hungry crocodiles, a little girl stands up to protect him.  She convinces the people that Herb is a peace-loving vegetarian dragon. The King then gives the dragons an ultimatum in an attempt to avoid war: the dragons must agree to stop eating people.  With Herb's help, the dragons learn to add variety to their diet and everyone lives happily ever after!

When we finished the book, my son begged me to give it to him for his personal collection.  Guess I'll have to get another copy for my inventory!  

Ages 4 to 10
Written by: Julie Bass
Illustrated by: Debbie Harter
IRA-CBC Children's Choice Award Winner
Parents' Choice Award Approved Winner
Society of School Librarians International Honor Book





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing what you think! Any comments with embedded links will be automatically removed unless left by a legitimate blogger. I do not wish for the comments section of my blog to be used for marketing purposes. I also do not accept Anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!!!